Sunday, April 10, 2016

The Start of My Journey to Health and Happiness

Today marks a big milestone for me. Today, I reduced my prescription medications down to three! To most, it may not seem like a big deal; to me, it is a major victory.

Those close to me know that I've struggled with health issues for many years. By the time I graduated high school, I had undergone four surgeries and had racked up diagnoses: endometriosis, arthritis, Raynaud's Phenomenon, muscular trigger points and others. College was not much kinder. I was told I had Celiac disease, fibromyalgia, tachycardia, a bladder disease, kidney stones...

The trend continued into adulthood. Countless times I was told that I had some new diagnosis and was given some new medication. I stopped being able to keep it all straight or maybe I had just stopped trying.

I had lost hope. I knew that I was lucky. Luckier than many. I may not have been "healthy," but I was alive. My life wasn't in danger. But it was difficult to stay positive. Many days it was a struggle just to get out of bed, to take a shower, to function like a normal human being.

Then October came around. I was in two accidents, both of which caused spinal injuries. I couldn't hold my own head up, let alone perform essential daily functions. I couldn't work, I couldn't go to the grocery store (and gained 20 pounds from take-out), I couldn't take out the trash. I had 5+ doctor's appointments a week, I was on 11+ prescriptions, including 3 controlled substances. I still couldn't function.

I am blessed to have wonderful friends in my life. One day, two of my good friends, Autumn and Kristine, came over. They prayed with me. They helped me come up with a plan. I began seeking natural alternatives for my symptoms. I started eating anti-inflammatory foods and spices. I used essential oils for insomnia and the pain. I avoided GMOs and added hormones. Autumn and Kristine gave me a lot of advice, but more importantly, they helped me find what I had lost.

Hope.

And that has made all the difference.

1 comment:

  1. Wow what a great blog, i really enjoyed reading this, good luck in your work. CBD Muscle Gel USA

    ReplyDelete